It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

April 09, 2013

Two Suckers Are Doing the Chicago Marathon

Well, I'm sure you've heard about the Chicago Marathon debacle by now....and if you recall I wrote a not so pleasant post about it.  I have complained about not getting in (the traditional way) but realize I have never said that in fact Jim and I will be running the marathon - or at least we think we are.

So yes, like many others, I toiled over my computer for hours and hours the day registration opened only to be shut out.  I like many others, put my name in the lottery and was not chosen.  But, I like not so many others also reserved my hotel room through Marathon Tours & Travel. 

When we decided we were going to do the Chicago Marathon I wanted to reserve a room early.  I started doing online searches on Expedia, etc and the rooms were crazy expensive as in $500 a night!  So I turned to Marathon Tours & Travel - they were the company we used when we went to Boston.  They have group rates with the hotels so you can get rooms for about half the cost.  The only downside, is unlike traditional hotels were you can cancel up to 24 hours or so in advance with no penalty, you do have to pay a small fee - which grows every month as the race gets closer if you cancel.  I reserved our room back in January and had we not been able to do the Chicago Marathon we would have been out about $40.

The one thing Marathon Tours & Travel offered was up to 2 entries (per room) into the Chicago Marathon - for an additional fee - if you were unable to register.  Honestly, I didn't think we would need this fail safe.  I knew registration would sell out that first day, but I thought we would get in, because I would be online the moment registration opened.  Well, I was obviously totally wrong about that.

Marathon Tours had 250 entries and they would be given out on a first come/first serve basis.  So, as soon as we learned we couldn't get in the traditional way I contacted them.  For an extra $100 per entry we could race.  Yikes! As if this race wasn't expensive enough.

Jim and I really thought about it and decided it might be our last opportunity to do the race together.  I'm sure next year it will be a 100% lottery and if it is, I doubt Marathon Tours will be given any entries.  Plus, my friend Coy who I had begged to run it with me got in.  I would be leaving her to run the race by herself when she had never intended to run it in the first place.

So we forked out the extra money and we are headed to Chicago!  Or at least we think we are.  We have paid for the race entry fee and the "late charge", but we haven't actually registered yet.  They told us we won't get registration details until June.  So, while I know I should be in....I won't feel totally comfortable until I am actually registered.

So yes, after much complaining I still gave them my money.  We are two big SUCKERS!!

Michael & Jim - Two Big Suckers! 

17 comments:

  1. Aye carumba!!! I might volunteer or spectate but how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that picture...oh running and the things it makes us do. I have been considering Dopey but feel like I'd be a nut to spend that much...yet the best things in life are always the experiences I've had :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's that saying...There's a sucker born every minute? haha

    I does sound expensive, but since you saved on the hotel it seems to all even out. I probably would have went for it too since it will be harder to get into in the future and you can't leave a friend hangin'!

    I've heard it's an amazing race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys actually made a really smart decision to get the room and have the fail-safe. Thanks for telling me about the marathon tours and travels deal- I had never even thought about that route, but might need it at some point.
    Have fun training!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you're both getting to do it. And even more so because you've got a friend that you didn't want to let down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I didn't even know you could get in that way! Hey! But if you are not sure about next year, why not do it this year? The experience will make it worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's something you guys want to do, then it's worth every penny!! Hope you guys get in! I'll have my fingers crossed!

    This is one marathon that I would love to do one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome you guys found a way to register for it. I would love to run Chicago some day.

    I hadn't heard of the marathon tour/travel deals. I'll have to look into that for our next destination race!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that is a good ending to this mess ...and expensive one but hey we only live once right?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the price we pay to get the glory! I'm looking forward to it :) We gonna show Chi town who's in charge. HAHAHA, or at least visit some museums anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! It sounds like it's the perfect timing to take advantage of all the options to get in. Glad you can do it. Fingers crossed that all the remaining pieces fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are going to LOVE IT!!!! Best marathon EVER!!! It is worth the extra $$ for forked out, I promise. If I was able - I would run this race every year.

    Sorry - I am a little crazy about this race :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure it's worth the extra hundred. There's always charity run as well. I saw a site to raise $1300. Not that hard to raise that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow. Sorry this was such a pain for you. I am not surprised it's gone to a lottery. It is a great race though and you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you got in, just a bummer on the cost. Though seems like it is a fantastic race as long as it isn't super hot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It actually doesn't sound like a bad deal for a race that you realllllly wanted to run. Glad you got in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I am glad you guys will be there, though I know it's a pretty penny. Hopefully I'll finally get to meet you two crazy cats! But now you've got me paranoid about where I'm going to stay.....

    ReplyDelete