It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

February 18, 2011

Kick My A..naerobic Threshold

Every Tuesday and Thursday night and Saturday morning I take an indoor cycling class.  The name of the class is KMA.......Kick My A..naerobic Threshold.  And it does just that.  Each class is two hours of pure torture.  It is mostly cycling on your own bike on an indoor trainer, but he also likes to throw in some strength training as well.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays we do resistance band work.  Our coach thinks it's really fun to make us do isometric exercises with the bands.  For instance recently we did a 4 minute isometric squat.  I literally thought I might die.  I think he was a sadist in a previous life.



That's me in the hot pink....kicking it!

In spite of the pain, it's kind of fun in a way.  As I've said before I'm not the strongest or fastest athlete.  My class is made up of about 90% men and 10% women.  Alot of the men are serious cyclists, but the isometric exercises are an equalizer.  Those guys legs are shaking just like mine.  They are breathing hard, and alot of time there are a few curse words being expressed.  It's kind of funny to watch.

On Saturday's the coach likes to put together an obstacle course......oh gee more fun.  We spend about 30 minutes on the bike, then about 45 on the obstacle course and then complete the class on the bike.  It's a great way to break up the bike, but the obstacle course is tough and he changes out the exercises every week.  We do fun things like jump rope for 2 minutes.  Now that should be easy right?  I could jump rope for like 20 minutes when I was a kid and didn't think a thing about it........not so much anymore.  Have you jumped rope lately - man that can get your heart rate up in a second.  We also do agility ladder exercises and hip extensions on the ball, but my FAVORITE one that we've done for the last few weeks is where I get to crawl on my hands and knees with a partner behind me who has a resistance band around my waist and gets to pull me in the opposite direction (really wish I had a picture of that).....it is FUN....is my sarcasm font working?

I know that's just a ringing endorsement for the class right, but honestly it has been great for me.  I do dread every workout, but I know it has pushed me farther than I probably would have gone on my own this winter.  I would never have sat on a bike and ridden this many miles (even if it is indoor) on my own.  So thanks Coach Goodman Goodpain.

On a side note, I decided to get clipless pedals installed on my bike prior to the class starting.  I figured if I was going to be indoors on a trainer for 3 months I might as well try them out and start getting some practice clipping in and out in a safe environment.  Even that wasn't easy.  The first time I clipped in, there was no way I was clipping out - they were set too tight.  So I had to get off and on my bike with my shoes still attached to the bike pedals - "Pro Style".  I'm not sure if this "practice" will translate from trainer to outdoors, but we shall see soon enough.  I'm sure my klutzy self will have lots of fabulous stories to share when I first start riding outdoors with those things.  I am just hopeful I don't seriously injure myself.



Anyway, I do feel the class is making me stronger.  I'm hopeful to see some improvement in my cycling speed when I start training outdoors again.  Very, very hopeful.  Biking is my strongest sport, but I'm still well below most people's average.  I think with some extra effort I'll be an AVERAGE cyclist any day now.

How about you ?  Any one do the group exercise thing or are you the lone wolf?

7 comments:

  1. I used to do a lot of group classes in the winter but when I hired a coach he felt strongly that it is more efficient to ride alone on a trainer. Outdoors, mostly for safety, I try to train with a group.

    Realize with pedals, everyone tips over at least once. It is a rite of passage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome course! I wish we had one like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much FUN! That's not sarcasm. :) However it does sound pretty rough. I usually train alone but never pass up the opportunity to run or ride with someone. I enjoy the social aspect of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh how I love trainer work!!!! I really do, I am one of the weird freaks out there.

    And I thought the 90 seconds was tough that P90X has me do for isometric squats, 4 minutes seem like forever

    I like how your coach mixes things up

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to love the clipless pedals! I've fallen over MORE than once in them...
    Once, in my own driveway, in front of all the neighbors. JOY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG. Two hours? I love group exercise classes. I feel like I push myself harder because someone might be watching me. Sometimes though I look at the clock after 15 minutes and think why did I come today. I can not imagine a two hour class!

    Kudos to you for going to class with only 10% females. That can be so intimidating. I love how even though you say you are not the fastest or best at running, biking or swimming, you are out there giving it your all. You don't have insecurities about it and I love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that both you and your husband are on here. My daughter and son both are although my son has stopped posting for now!

    ReplyDelete