It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

May 01, 2015

The Garmin Half Marathon - 2015

Well, I did a half marathon almost two weeks ago and I’m just now finding time to sit down and write up a recap.  Unfortunately, the day after the race I left for a two week business trip and there’s just been no extra time.  So anyway here goes. It will be short.
We're Not In Kansas anymore..wait we are


I only did the Garmin Half Marathon in Olathe, KS because it is part of what is called the Heartland 39.3 series which is 3 local half marathons over 5 weeks.  You can register for a discounted price and do all three races and there is some bonus bling at the end of all 3 events.  If I do it 3 years in a row I earn a jacket – this makes year #2 for me.   So I have to do it one more year for the jacket. 
Honestly, if it weren’t one of the required races, I’m not sure I would have done it again.   To me the course is hilly (tho called “Wickedly Fast”) and kind of boring.  There is little to no crowd support and at the end of the race you run like half a mile to the finish line which for some reason is just awful.  It’s like so close, but so far away.  They did give out a t-shirt which I really liked, and a nice large medal.  Everything is Wizard of Oz themed (It’s in Kansas) which is kind of fun too.  So there are always lots of people dressed in costume. 

Last year there was a major storm during the race and it even hailed.  This year it rained again, but it honestly felt pretty good.  My race this year was a complete disaster…totally.  Last year I did the Rock the Parkway half marathon, then there was a week break and then Garmin.  This year the races were back to back weekends.  I’ve done back to back half marathons a few other times and had no issues, so  I don’t think that played a huge role. 
My biggest issue is that I was in the porta potty line at the beginning of the race (again).  I’ve done this a few times now.  So before you tell me to get in line earlier, please note that I had already gone through the line once, and thought I had time to get through again…but I didn’t.  So, when I came out of the porta potty the race had already started.  Yes it’s chip timed, but it always panics me.  So I “sprinted” to the start and then jumped in line. I didn’t realize I had jumped in with the 2:10 pace group and I was keeping that pace for the first mile before I realized I was going just way too fast!  I slowed myself down after that but it was honestly just too late.  I had gone out too fast, and I had burned up my reserves too early.


By mile 4 I was feeling exhausted and I knew I was in trouble.  Honestly, most of the race was a blur.  I just remember being tired, feeling like I could never catch my breath and just being incredibly hot.  It was about 65, and pretty humid with rain in the air, but it certainly wasn’t the worst running conditions ever.  But it was a bit warm for me.  Luckily it was overcast which helped. If the sun had been out I think I would have struggled even more.  I was hoping to finish the race around 2:30.  At about mile 5 or 6 the 2:30 group passed me so I knew I was in real trouble. As the miles ticked on, the pace groups continued to pass me and I grew increasingly annoyed.  I wanted to catch up. I wanted to run faster, but I didn’t have anything…I mean nothing.  I think miles 9-13 where at a 15+ minute pace.  I was doing more walking than running and honestly I just wanted to get it over with. 
The rain came about mile 9 and felt pretty good, but it didn’t make me any faster.  I ended up finishing a very disappointing 2:51.  My third slowest half ever, only my 2 very first half marathons in 2009 were slower. 

It was a bad race.  It happens I suppose.  I do think I know what caused it for the most part.  It was a combination of being a little warm and going out to fast – but the going out to fast definitely had the biggest impact.
I have my third race next weekend – which has always typically
been my slowest of the 3 races, so I’m hopeful it will go much, much better.



11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a rough run. I was there too, and I agree with much of what you said. What an uninspiring course -- ugly even in some places. Too many bottlenecks that didn't have to be there. That last mile really was just no fun at all. And mud on the trail. Why didn't they get that cleared in advance?

    I really expected better from an outfit like Garmin. I doubt I'll ever run this one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the mud was bad. Last year the rain came down so fast the water was ankle deep in some places, so it was still better than last year. I can't believe it rained two years in a row.

      Delete
  2. Good review…very similar to the review I wrote about this race, as well. My worst half ever…I, too, started out too fast - stupid rookie mistake. And the mud on that trail?? Gah. I was hoping I wouldn't break my neck. And the finish line - up, up, up that hill to get there. I will not be doing the 39.3 Heartland Series next year, mainly because I do NOT want to run this half again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mud was bad. It was so slick I was really afraid I would fall.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you had a bad race. There must not be enough port a potties.
    I do like the medal and can see why you would do the series 3 years but I love good scenery and that part would not be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually a story behind the porta potty...it was just an issue with the line I was in...my luck.

      Delete
  4. There's a lesson for all of us in there. Going out too fast is a race killer. I've done it myself a fair few times and always paid the price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog when trying to find info on the Heartland 39.3 series, which I'm doing for the first time this year. I didn't have a bad race and knocked 4 minutes of my RTP time, but I agree with your comments on the course. I've lived in Olathe since 1981, and the first section on Ridgeview is not one of the nicer neighborhoods. I couldn't help but think THIS is what they want to showcase? I like running through old downtown and by Olathe North HS and Mahaffie, but a lot of that is my own nostalgia. Of course, with all the road construction and crossing I35, it's probably hard to find a better route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard from a few people they changed the course 2 years ago. It was exactly the same this year and last. Last year I also took 4 minutes off my RTP time..but this year, well it was just a bad race.

      Delete
  6. It happens. You run a lot and it's bound to happen but hey, look at all that cool stuff! I love the Wizard of Oz themed stuff! You have so many more races over there, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete