It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

May 12, 2015

Running with the Cows Half Marathon 2015 - Review

This was 6th annual Running with the Cows (RWTC) Half Marathon and my third year in a row participating in the race.  If you are looking for a rural, hilly race than this is the race for you!  If you don't like cows, pasture and hills...you might want to skip it....however it does have some other things you might enjoy.


First this race is the 3rd and final race in the Heartland 39.3 race series, where you finish 3 half marathons in 5 weeks (Rock the Parkway, Garmin Half, and Running with the Cows).  This was my 2nd year completing the Heartland 39.3 series.  This year I got a larger outer medal "holder" for last year's medal.  If I complete 3 years in a row I'll get a jacket. So yes, I'll be doing it again...call me a sucker.

Anyway, back to RWTC.  I won't lie, this is a challenging course, and was made even more challenging this year with a course change.  It's also not particularly exciting.  You pretty much run on back roads out in the country.  For many people this is awesome!  Country roads and fresh air...but I prefer people and more to see.  But this race still has so much going for it.  First, it is by far one of the most well organized and friendliest races I've ever done.  Everyone has to be bused to the race start, but they are so well organized and you basically have a bus waiting for you where you park.  They make the quick trip to the school where the race starts and when you get off the bus, there are people everywhere greeting you and telling you thank you for coming to their race. They are awesome. They have a bag drop inside the school and also pre-run breakfast if you are interested. You see nothing but friendly faces and amazing volunteers.  The medal and shirt are also great.  And the post race spread....well it's like no race I've ever done.  There is so much food.  There are homemade items as well as catered in sandwiches, BBQ, pizza...and so on.

Even though this is a smaller race, they also have pacers which is great.  After my last disaster race at Garmin I decided to start slow and to do that I started with the 2:35 pace group.  I was hoping I would finish around 2:35, but with my slower running times this year I doubted it, but thought if I at least started with the 2:35 maybe I'd stick with them and I wouldn't go out to fast.  Historically I've been about 5 minutes slower at this race than Rock the Parkway - which was the case again this year.  I did 2:35 at Rock the Parkway and a 2:40 here.
Me & Kelly pre-race

The race has true rolling hills.  The course is hilly, and the hills just never stop, but for the most part none are particularly steep.  That is until this year!  As I've mentioned this was my third year and this year they changed the course.  I couldn't get the map to pull up for some reason so I wasn't sure what the course change was. Well, for SOME reason they decided to add a HUGE hill at mile 9.  So here's my deal.  Miles 9-10 are typically the most difficult of the race for me.  They are truly my "make it or break it" miles  Honestly as I was finishing up mile 8 I was feeling pretty good.  I was hanging right with the 2:35 pace group and I started thinking wow, I might just finish here. I feel strong.  I feel great. I am woman hear me roar...blah, blah, blah.

But then comes mile 9.  Literally right at mile 9 you start the climb.  Is this the biggest hill I've ever climbed - no, but it was unexpected and for me came at my hardest part of the race.  It is a 70 foot climb over .6 miles...just up, up, up.  It was tough and here is where I faltered.  It just took too miuch out of me.  You get a nice little downhill for the balance of mile 9, and then you just go up, up, up again.  Mile 10 to 11 is basically an 80 foot climb uphill.  There are some little rollers in there, but overall you just keep going up.  It was just a killer.  I had managed to average around an 11:35 for the first 9 miles (even with that hill), but then that just took it out of me and I just couldn't keep my pace after that.  My last few miles were in the 12s, with mile 11 at a 13 something pace.

I finally reached 13 miles on my Garmin and though wahoo I'm almost done.  But, I couldn't see the finish line anywhere.  That's when I knew the race was going to be super long.  I knew by mile 11 I wouldn't make 2:35, but I thought I might still be able to do a 2:38 or 2;39.  I pushed at the end and when my watch was at 13.1 miles I was at 2:38.  I could see the finish line and thought maybe if I pushed I could still come in under 2:40....but I crashed.  I literally had to stop and walk with the finish line like 500 feet in front of me.  I ended up with 2:40:03....I just couldn't push those last few seconds.  I was kind of bummed and mad at myself that I wouldn't just push a bit more, but I was spent. Those last hills had just killed me.  Did I mention it's an uphill finish??

So yes, it's a hilly course.  It's constant hills, but I'd still recommend this race anyway.  The aid stations are awesome.  People are so friendly and they have one about every 1.5 miles.  Then when you get done you get a cowbell, your medal and of course that insane post race spread!

I found a bit of food and my friends and headed home with  my double race bling and excited to be done with 3 marathon in 5 weeks.

Now I will add another one.  I'll be doing the Colfax Half Marathon this weekend in Denver. It will be my first race at altitude and I'm pretty sure I might die.  I expect this race to be like 3+ hours.  We shall see.

If you are on Instagram please follow @sportchaletexperts - I will be Instagramming from their account on Sunday during the race.  So you can literally follow my adventure as I update throughout the race.  It should be fun!!!!
Additional race bling for the 3 race series

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, that's cool that you're doing the Instagram takeover! I thought about offering with Cedar Cross, but thank goodness I didn't, because I took literally maybe 3 pictures during the race!

    Nice job on the half! It sounds tough, though I might like rolling hills over flat...of course, with the amount of running I've been doing, a half might kill me right now.

    Good luck in Denver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my phone is totally flaking out so I "hope" I can do it. It loses batter in just a couple of hours!! I'm getting a new one but not until after the race next week

      Delete
  2. Every word you say is true! The hills were killers, and they seemed endless. What really wore me down was all of the straight lines. I could SEE how far I still had to go, which is always demoralizing to me. Give me bends and turns. And my glorious finish was much like yours. Walking within sight of the arch. My finish time was not my best, but it was better than three I'd run before.

    But the organization was the best I've ever seen (Garmin could learn a lot here), the welcome was unprecedented, the water stations actually worked (again, Garmin), and the food was legendary. The cowbell they gave me was broken, and I was a little surprised that I could claim my Heartland medal without having to prove I'd earned it, but the race was well done.

    Was the 2:35 pace group the one with the chatty lead pacer who had everyone shout at each mile marker?

    Fleet feet to you next year and in Colorado. I hope we get to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I was surprised about the 39.3 thing too. To get your shirt at the expo they have a list, but to get the bling - including the jacket you just walk up and ask for it. I guess they assume people want try to get something they didn't earn and I think most people wouldn't...but some would!!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I soooo hear you on this race. I was with the 2:05s until mile 9. Then the 2:10s passed me. I was going under 2:10, dang it! I caught back up to them in the last mile and finished under 2:10, but it was hard fought.

    Personally, country roads are where I train & I love it. In the city or burbs, it feels like you go FOREVER to cover a half-marathon (Garmin was a tour of Olathe for Pete's sake), but in the country, 4 miles is just around the block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like the out and back courses...it helps me just to have something to look at. It seems like those miles where I see people passing on the other side go by so much faster.

      Delete
  4. We must have been running beside each other - and didn't know it!!! I started with the 2:40 pace group, but by Mile 3, I was with Kelly and the 2:35 pace group. I ran beside Kelly for awhile, but then moved up slightly ahead…I was still behind the "front" 2:35 pacer guy (he never talked, so I don't know his name.) I agree about that hill - I called it Mount Kilimanjaro in my review. It was a KILLER. I loved the theme; loved the volunteer support; and would have loved the food if I trusted it to eat it (I'm Celiac, and have to be very careful - so I skip buffets/pot lucks). I have to agree with Paul, though - I was shocked we didn't have to "prove" we'd registered for the 39.3 Series. Anyone could have walked up and got the bling! Congratulations on your 2nd year of doing this - next year, you get the jacket!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy. There was a lady I saw in a fancy skirt and thought at first it might be you...but then thought it wasn't. I know it wasn't because I saw her on the out and back behind me by quite a bit.

      I have a friend with Celiac - yes it makes eating out difficult. I don't blame you for skipping the food. But too bad since it's one of the highlights of the race!

      Delete
  5. Seems like a rough course, but they freaking GIVE YOU A COWBELL! I don't know why that makes me so happy.

    And just take your time in Denver. Acclimating to elevation is no joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have four or five cowbells in my race collection now. I love them!

      Delete
  6. Cool series, but I agree why would they add in a big mean hill at mile 9?! That's when things are getting real! Great job with the series and getting your double bling. I would be a sucker for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely be doing it again for a free jacket. Especially if the jacket has that cute cow on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That hill kicked my booty this year! Was my second year doing the series as well, bring on the jacket next year!

    ReplyDelete