It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

January 21, 2015

Get Into the Groove

 Do you have Madonna stuck in your head now?  If you don’t it’s because you are younger than me :)  It’s classic 80s Madonna!

Anyway, I finally feel like I’m getting into the groove of things again.  With my indoor cycling class (on my bike and trainer) I’ve added cycling back to my schedule at least 2 days a week (sometimes 3 if I go to the Sat class).  The class is TOUGH.  It is supposed to last about an hour, but with warm-up and it usually runs a few minutes late, I get in a good hour to hour and 10 to 15 minutes on the bike. It is similar to a gym Spin class.  It is very high intensity and energy.  My heart rate stays very elevated throughout the class.  Last night was basically interval work switching back and forth between high cadence work and simulated climbs.  The high cadence work really taxes my aerobic threshold.  It is good for me, as I’m not a “high cadence” kind of girl.  
Working out in the home gym...Jack always by my side
I’m continuing to keep my core and weight training going.  Now that Jim and I have a nice little home gym in our basement it’s a great way to get in full body work.  I’m trying to do this at least 3 to 4 times a week for now, though I know once triathlon season is in full swing I’ll probably have to cut it down to a couple of times a week.  But it is helping! I can really see new definition and muscles coming along and that is really cool!

I’m still struggling a bit with my running.  I just can’t seem to get the speed back that I had 6 to 8 months ago.  I know a big part of it is weight and I’m working on that part.  My times are coming down some, but I’m still just nowhere close to where I want to be.  On a positive note we’ve had a nice little warm spell here for some reason and it’s been in the 50s and even low 60s for several days.  I even got in a tank top run on Monday!  That is unheard of in Missouri in mid Jan.  Two weeks ago it was subzero with the wind chills.  It’s a nice little motivating break!
Tank top run with the sun shining magically on my head


So, in the next couple of weeks I need to add back swimming.  UGH.  It is my least favorite of the 3 sports for a few reasons.  1) I totally suck at it and 2) it’s just the hassle.  I actually enjoy swimming once I’m there most of the time, but I hate going to a gym, changing, smelling like chlorine, the extra shower, etc, etc.  It’s just a pain.  Plus it’s often difficult to find a lane by yourself which is always intimidating because – well just refer to #1. 

As of this past Monday I am just shy of six weeks (5 weeks and 5 days) until the Phoenix Half Marathon.  It should be warm and flat.  It would be a great race to attempt a PR, but I know I’m not in that kind of shape.  I need to get some weight off and just keep training and then attempt a PR in the spring.  Realizing the closeness of the race has given me some added motivation to lose some weight.  My goal is to lose 10 pounds.  It is not overly aggressive, but it is not an easy goal either.  If I want to make it happen I need to focus, focus, focus.  Last night after cycle class was my first real test.  My girlfriend asked me to go to my favorite pizza place…where they have the most amazing meatball sub on the planet.  I haven’t had one in a really long time and it sounded so good after a long workout…..but I turned her down…I can home and ate a healthy and light dinner.  Focus!  The struggle is real……….

Just a beautiful pic of the sun coming up during a morning run
How are you doing????

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've got this down! Now to just keep the momentum going! And it wouldn't hurt if we got a couple more of these 40+ degree days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I totally started singing Madonna when I read the title!
    Your workouts look great (and so do you in a tank top!), I'm so glad you're finding your way back. So jealous of a basement gym at your disposal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I only had to read the title of the post and I started singing. I fully expect Madonna to accompany me around every single aisle at the grocery store today. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Char, I had Madonna in my head when I read the title... We are certainly giving away our age. I'm enjoying summer and always feel grateful that we have such mild winters when I read about the cold winters other parts of the world have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best decision we made for our vow renewal was booking this place. We are so thankful to their manager and their staff for all of their efforts on our behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think YOU suck at swimming???? Too bad you can't swim with me, it would build you up. I'm trying to lose weight. I don't want the Muffin Top people to contact me to be the calendar cover girl. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continue to Push. Keep your head in the game and remember your "why" It will all come naturally after that!

    ReplyDelete