It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

October 20, 2011

My Butt Hurts Real Bad

I’ve been repeating the title of this post in my head for a day now….in my best Napoleon Dynamite voice.  No, my butt doesn’t hurt real bad because of my Sweet Dance moves, it hurts because of Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs video!  Every time I sit down, every time I stand up, every time I move – IT HURTS!!  The good kind of pain, like when you know you have worked a totally new muscle group.



As most of you know I’m training for my first marathon in January, and I’m not really a “runner” by trade – I’m a triathlete.  But in late August I injured my shoulder and have not been able to swim.  Also, since I’m running so much I haven’t been biking much lately so my workouts have mainly consisted of running lately.  My running times are improving, but I’ve got a chronic back issue (I’ll share more about what I’ve discovered in a different post) that I know impedes my running.  I know stronger hips, legs, and core will improve my running stamina and help with the back pain.  So, I decided that since I’m not spending my time swimming and biking, I should get back to doing some more strength and core training.

So last week I purchased two Jillian Michaels DVDs – Killer Buns & Thighs and Six Week Six Pack.  Both were very reasonably priced on Amazon at just under $9 each.  Yesterday I decided to give the Buns & Thighs DVD a go.  The DVD has 3 levels and each workout is about 30 minutes.  I, of course, decided to start with Level 1, but I didn’t have 30 minutes to dedicate to it so I just did PART of the video.  She does each series of moves twice, so I decided for times sake I would just run through them once.  I can’t believe how sore I am from about a 20 minute workout.  I can only imagine how I would feel if I had done the entire thing! 

I totally expect to look like this in just 6 weeks!
It might not have been the best idea ever to start this week.  I was still pretty sore and tired from my half marathon on Saturday and I have my first ever run over 13.1 miles this Saturday.  When I ran this morning I felt my butt the entire time.  But, I am a glutton for punishment so I’ll be throwing in the Six Pack abs DVD tonight after work.  Wish me luck!!  At least tomorrow is a rest day.  I think I’m gonna need it!

Thanks so, so much to everyone for the very kind and encouraging words on my blog this week.  I can’t tell you how thrilling it was to PR this weekend.  I’m still basking in the glow of it.  I’ve had other PRs recently, but nothing has felt as good as this one.  I finally felt like a runner.  I know an 11:39 pace is no record breaker, but for someone who’s never been able to get out of the 12s on long races it seemed like an almost unattainable accomplishment for me. 

Have you seen Napoleon Dynamite?  If not, what are you waiting for?  Seriously, it’s a classic!

12 comments:

  1. I have read multi blogges say how tough those DVD's are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love nepoleon Dynamite. I am from Idaho so I completely relate the entire show. Good job with the workout videos. Lower body workouts absolutely wipe me out. I can run and run and run but ask me to do lunges and I just might cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great price for those DVDs maybe I will join you in the pain!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely LOVE Napolean Dynamite! Yeah, I need those videos...so hard to get motivated for that kind of stuff, though (at least for me). I think I sat down and watched a J.M. DVD once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jillian kicks your butt for sure!

    I so need to get back to some kind of strength training on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snap! I've got an aching butt too.My son's given me a pile of exercises to increase hip, glute and core strength (and to get rid of the stupid hip injury) and they really work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job feeling the Jillian Pain. I sobbed through the entire movie because I was laughing so hard. I don't know how many times I've seen it now.

    Kip? Uncle Rico? I want to be in that family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo! I love that feeling of "I did something really good for me" soreness. That's the best.

    And I've never seen Napolean Dynamite. I tried to watch it once and gave up after about 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad to say, and I know you're gonna laugh but I've never seen that movie! BUT, I have had my BUTT hurt before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never tried Jillian's workouts, but they all sound killer! I love Napoleon dynamite. I haven't seen that in a long time I may have to dig it out later this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That workout sounds like a tough one! I might just have to get it!

    Love Napoleon Dynamite! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your writing voice. Jillian is awesome! She always makes me hurt. I'm determined to start adding her to my weekly routine again! Congrats on your race recently. Kind of new here so I have some catching up to do! :)

    ReplyDelete