It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

October 07, 2011

A Mostly Pictorial Post


Well, as I mentioned in my last post.  I ran my half marathon Sunday, showered, said my goodbyes to Coy and drove back home to Kansas City.  I arrived home just in time for dinner, and to do some laundry and pack for another trip.  I was heading to Washington, DC for work. I had a work group close out meeting on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The meeting started at 8 am Tues morning, so I had to fly out on Monday.  Since I had never been to DC before I decided to take a vacation day and go out early so I could make the most of my only day in town that wasn't booked solid.  So I booked a 6:30 am flight out of Kansas City on Monday. I live an hour from the airport.  This meant getting up at 3:30 am and leaving at 4:30 am to make my flight (with literally no time to spare - I got through the security gate as they were announcing "last call" for my flight).

Let me just tell you that getting up at 3:30 am after not having gone to bed until about 10:30 pm and running a half marathon the day before IS NOT easy.  I have a hard time sleeping on planes, so that didn't really do me any good.  Anyway, I arrived to my hotel around 11:15 am where thankfully I was able to check in early.  I took a very, very quick 20 minute cat nap and then headed out to see the sites.  Unfortunately it was cold and rainy on Monday - about 48 degrees and misty rain the entire day.  Of course Tues and Wed when I was in meetings the weather was 70 and sunny.  Anywho, I know most of you have probably been to DC before, but I hadn't.  The city is just AWESOME!  The monuments, museums, etc are so amazing.  It was a great experience.  I really want to go back now and spend some more time in this city.  I just about walked my feet off.....seriously.  I was so tired it was ridiculous.  After spending about 6 hours walking around the city, I met up with a friend of a friend who lives in DC and she took me around to a few more spots and to dinner.  She was so incredibly nice to do this.  I didn't make it back to my hotel room until about 9:45 pm that night.  I was exhausted!!  I am still exhausted.  Can't wait for the weekend.

Anyway, I know most of you have probably been to DC and have these pics yourselves, but here were a few of my favs.  Notice the ominous clouds in the background of everyone - and most were taken during the day.




The new MLK memorial




A Night at the museum






Me as a caveman.  Super cute!










20 comments:

  1. you are a rock star for getting up that early after minimal sleep and the half! and then still going out to see all the sights!?! you got some awesome pics...i really love DC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome to see the new MLK monument, it wasn't completed before I moved out of DC. There are lots of races in DC if you ever want to make a racecation weekend to travel again. ( not that you really need an excuse to visit DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day isn't enough time to see all those sights, surely? The Martin Luther King monument is just wonderful and so fitting for such a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love DC! I haven't seen the MLK Memorial yet. This fall I'm not going to DC as Emily (my daughter) is gone the weekend I could go. Love all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to goto Washington DC. How fun!!

    I can not imagine how your legs felt after all the travel, racing, more travel, Ouch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't work know to schedule important travel around your racing?

    The architecture there is a amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live up the road (20 miles) from DC and don't take advantage of it nearly enough. It is a beautiful city. Next time you are here, let me know and I will meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to go to DC. So much history! Looks like you got to a lot of the sites! I cannot imagine how tired you were. I am usually a useless lump the day after a half.

    And you are a super cute cavewoman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures! I've always wanted to go to DC, but haven't yet had the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you really saw a lot in that one day! That is so awesome. I have never been to DC so I really appreciate all of the pictures. I remember my Dad spent 2 week sin DC when I was a kid and came back raving about how amazing it was.

    Some day I will get there. Happy Friday and yay for the weekend. Catch up on that sleep and cuddle with the pup!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You would have been such the cute cavewoman!

    That was seriously my favorite picture out of this whole post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the pics of DC make me want to go back for another visit. I would love to run Marine Corp one year.

    and....that PR makes me want to run faster, faster, faster. Congrats! Super racing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, where the pic of the rabid squirrel and dead guy!? Oh, and the balls? This is a pretty good pictorial. You saw a ton of stuff. Wish I could have gone! :) We would have eaten chilli and raided hotel cleaning lady carts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so jealous! I used to live about 3 hours outside of DC and I LOVED taking trips there. Your pictures make me want to go back right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you certainly made the most of your time in DC! Glad you enjoyed the sightseeing - I've been there a few times, it's a great city to visit - lots to do (for free!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos....looks like you had a blast

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pics! DC is awesome, I've only been there once back in 2003, but I want to go again sometime. The World War II and MLK monuments are new since I was there I think. Those both look awesome. Glad it was a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. NICE WORK getting up so early - thats brutal! I love the pictures - great way to show off DC! Congrats on your race :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. If/when you go back to DC, let me know! I'm about 2 hours from there. Took the now DH there over Memorial Day (his first trip there... he's a left coast boy), and he loved it and can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  20. your caveman photo cracked me up : ) And very cool photo of the MLK monument!

    ReplyDelete