Next, as I mentioned in my last post Operation 40 kicked off today! My first challenges:
- Weight Loss Challenge (via DietBet) - Lose 4% of my starting weight in 4 weeks
- Weight Training & Core Work - 3 times a week for 4 weeks
- No Starbucks for a week...yes, I know that doesn't sound like much, but when you have an addiction you have to start somewhere.
I attended a natural running clinic this weekend. I have been working on my running form for awhile now on my own, but notice in pictures I'm clearly still not getting it so I thought it would be helpful to have someone watch me and critique me. It was an hour and I was the only student which was really nice! A few things I learned...both good and bad:
- My running cadence (turnover) is good. (So I guess that's not my excuse for being slow)
- I have a good natural "lean" forward
- It was good that I had already transitioned to a lower drop shoe which makes natural running more easy.
- I appeared to have strong hips which didn't sag on impact.
- I am still heel striking....grrr...he did say it's a very quick strike before I move to midfoot, but I am hitting there first but it's not really impacting my speed, just harder on the body.
- I have a lot of tension in my shoulders and arms which is causing me to expend a lot of excess energy.
- I have a bit of crossover when my feet land - partially do to the fact that I land on my outer feet and then roll my feet inward.
- I have pretty much zero ankle flexibility
- Tucking the hips in when running
- Focusing on midfoot striking
- Leaning forward at the chest
- Keeping my cadence the same
- Easing the tension in my shoulders
Have you ever done a running clinic before? It was my first one.