It's a very slow process - two steps forward, one step back - but I'm inching in the right direction. - Rob Reiner

September 24, 2011

3 PRs in One Race - Cerner 15K Race Report

This morning Jim and I headed over to Kansas City, KS for the first annual Cerner 15K race.  We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful morning!  The weather was literally perfect for running.  It was about 52 degrees, sunny, and light winds.  There was moderate humidity (about 75%) but with temps like that you really didn't notice.

For some reason Jim and I were both really not feeling the race this morning.  I've been having some trouble with my low back, and have been limping around all week.  I've had my physical therapist work on it some during my shoulder appointments, but it hasn't provided much relief.  Jim said he just wasn't into it.  He had just ran a marathon two weeks ago and had back to back long runs of 18 and 20 last weekend...and I think he was just a little tired.  I was too.  As I limped across the room to the bathroom, he said "Let's just not go".  To which I responded...."whatever, we are going".  We both knew we were going....sometimes you just have to get the grumps out.  So we got our running clothes on and did our pre-race "dance ritual" to get in the mood.  This time Jack got in on the action.



Me trying to do the "sprinkler" - oops blocked Jim from the shot :)

We arrived early and sat in the car to stay warm.  52 degrees is awesome for running, but a little chilly for standing around.  It was just a short walk to the race start so we could stay in the car until about 15 minutes before the race.  After a few trips to the porta potty we headed over to the race to warm up a bit.  I was planning to take it slow.  I have a half marathon next weekend, and with my back a little out of whack I figured I'd be lucky to average a 12:30 pace, but I secretly hoped I'd still finish around the 12 minute mark. My plan was to use this as a training run vs. a race.  I would run it the same way I was doing my long runs on the weekend.  I have been running the first 3 miles (with a 1 minute walk break in between miles) and then doing a 3 minute run/ 1 minute walk combination for the rest of the miles.  This is my running plan for my marathon.

The race started and I was off....running slowly to start...taking it easy, or so I thought.  I looked down at my Garmin when I was about a 1/2 mile into the race and I was averaging a 10:30 pace.  Oops, that race adrenaline will get you every time.  I slowed down..again or so I thought, but when I hit mile 1 my pace was 10:37.  OK, I really needed to slow down, I still had 8.3 more miles to go.  However, I was feeling good, so I decided to skip the 1 minute walk between the first few miles.  Maybe I would just run the first three without stopping.  Mile 2 comes....10:54, slower but still a little fast.  However, at this time I realize, at this pace I could break my 5K PR.  It won't be an official PR, but that's ok.  I slow down a bit more, but not too much.  Mile 3...11:18.  Now I'm watching my watch, to see it  hit 3.1.  When my Garmin registers 3.1 my time is 34:02. That's a 10:58 pace....that's sub 11!!!  My previous 5K PR was a 34:58 - an 11:16 pace.  I didn't crush my PR or anything, but I beat it....and I still had more than 6 miles to go.

OK, I knew I had to get serious now and slow down, or I was going to completely burn out.  So I decided to stick to my plan and start doing my 3/1 run walk method.  Mile 4 was mostly down hill, so in spite of my walk/run method I still did it in 11:16.  My next few miles were certainly slower, but I was still feeling really good.  As I approached mile 5, I realized if I just kept a decent pace I was also going to beat my 10K PR. I started envisioning my blog post...3 PRs...yes I was thinking about blogging while racing.  You know you guys do it too!  I kept tabs on my Garmin and hit 6.2 miles at 1:09:3, an 11:11 pace.  I killed my best 10K time which was 1:14:17 - a pace of 12:01.  I killed it!!!!

I was running on air.  I still felt strong....but then came the hills.  From about mile 6 to 8, it seemed like it was literally up hill the entire way.  There had been several pretty steep but short hills throughout the race, but these were long gradual hills.  Mile 6 to 7 was uphill, then a short break, and then back uphill again for mile 7 to 8! But I stayed strong.  Once I finally reached mile 8, I knew I was good.  I looked at my Garmin and I was averaging an 11:30 pace.  I decided my goal was to keep that.  I wanted to end with an 11:30 overall pace.  Finally, shortly after mile 9, you see the entrance to the Live Strong Sporting Park where Sporting Kansas City (our pro soccer team) plays and I know the finish line is close.  I looked at my Garmin, I'm still at 11:30, I can't slow down if I want to keep my pace.  I enter the stadium and I can see the finish line - I didn't expect it to be so close.  I sprint the last few feet and run across the finish line with 11:29 on the Garmin!  I threw my hands up in the air!  So excited for such a wonderful race.

Jim captured me coming across the finish line.


I finished in 1:47:43 with a pace of 11:29.  Unfortunately, as we all know you usually run a little bit more than the exact race distance so although my official race time was 1:47:39, my official pace was 11:34.  That was a bit of a bummer, for a second, and then I realized I had just PR'd in 3 races...a 5K, a 10K, and a 15K (just because it was my first 15K).  I had just finished a race with an 11:34 pace.  I had never finished a race over 3 miles with less than a 12 minute pace before....EVER!

15K Finisher gift....nice!  
It was a great day.  In spite of my own personal bests, I was 904 out of 975 runners.  That part is so frustrating to me.  How can I do so well, but still so bad?  But I can't focus on that.  I had a great race and I improved and that's all that matters at the end of the day!  I was fast for me.

Jim of course did AWESOME as usual finishing 1st place in his age group.  If you don't follow my husband's blog (50after40) you should.  He is truly an amazing athlete and does some amazing things.  You can read all about his race experience here.  I am so proud to be married to such a running super stud...yes Honey.....I said it, you are a running STUD!  I love you baby!  It was great to be able to share such a wonderful day of running with my husband.


Jim accepting his medal...I wasn't a very good photographer


Sorry if you read Jim's blog and see some of the same pics....we did do the same race after all.

Up next.....MO' Cowbell!  I know I won't be able to run this fast for 13.1 next weekend, but maybe, just maybe I'll finish around the 12 minute pace which would be another PR.   I'm hopeful to have this same wonderful weather....but who knows.  Today was a great day, one you don't get very often.  I'm thankful for it.

Hope everyone else had a great weekend as well and had AWESOME racing or training experiences of your own!

33 comments:

  1. Way to go, Michael! So, so happy for you! Three PRs in one race~ Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did FANTASTIC! Congratulations on a wonderful day (and such a nice surprize when you weren't even feeling it at the start). YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your back didn't worry you during the race? Fantastic results for both you and Jim. Not bad for a couple of runners who just weren't feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you especially after battling your shoulder. What a wonderful day for the both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to both of you. Pay no attention to how you did in relation to everyone else. You did great for YOU! Coveting that glass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love the 15K distance. I did the Hot Chocolate 15K last November in Chicago and it was so fun. Congrats to your hubby too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great running day for you!!! congrats on the PRs. And I LOVE the dance pictures. You two are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Michael. Your training is really paying off. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you do a pre-run dance.

    And KICK ASS on your 3 PRs. You're AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on a PR and don't worry what other do, race against yourself and you will always be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You rocked it!! Before you know it you'll be running 10:30's all the time! Seriously! You're a champ!! I know what you mean about running such a great race but yet still in the back! Happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!! 3 PR’s in the same day is huge :)
    Im sure in the next one, you’ll get another new PR.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  13. COngrats Michael!!!! So so happy for you. Wait to push yourself so hard. You are just awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Great job on your 3 PRs! That is awesome!

    At my first 10k I came in 144 out of 149. So I feel you there :)

    You are getting faster in every post it seems! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so proud of you ... and this has been one of our best weekends in a while! I love you ... keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job! Nice getting the grumps out. Then it really paid off! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome to read this...especially with the setbacks you've had recently with your shoulder. Congratulations!! You deserve every one of those PRs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOOT! WOOT!!!! Way to go on an awesome race!!!! You are doing so great and making such improvments this year! So proud of you!!! Congrats on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job!!!! The best races are the ones where you are going fast, but don't even feel it. I think you are primed for your half, and I can't wait to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are making such awesome improvements in your running, Michael!! Congrats to you both on such great races. Aren't you SO glad you both decided to go to the race even though you didn't feel like it??!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Step away from the results and stop comparing yourself to others! You did an amazing job--look at those PRs! THAT's what you focus on. Keep the mojo going!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww the dog is so cute =)

    CONGRATS on your PR! You will have to change the title of your blog soon to match your improving speed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did AMAZING!!! Congrats on all three PR's. I think you crushed your 5K and 10K times. I love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The PR Queen!!!!
    congrats! very happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pre-race dance pics are seriously the most awesome, funny thing I have seen all day. I may have to rope my wife into doing this before our marathon on Saturday.

    Great job at the race!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seriously your photos are soooooo awesome!!!!
    Way to own the day.
    You freaking rocked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats! I think I should take up pre-race dancing. You shouldn't worry about how you placed...personal bests are much more rewarding the focusing on where you compare with others! Just my opinion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay for 3 PR's, awesome! You had a fantastic race and you were right to go a bit faster than planned. A perfect day like this doesn't come along with every race. Congrats to both of you! Jim is sooo fast!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, 3 PRs in the same race is amazing! That is crazy to think about, haha Sounds like the race was a lot of fun! And I say you should count all of the time as official PRs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, what a fantastic race, congratulations on a many different PRs :). How you did compared to YOU is all that matters, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Christina didn't lie, you are both hilarious! I love the pics and the posts /w dialogue! lol

    ReplyDelete